World Downs Syndrome Day

Today, 21st March celebrates World Downs Syndrome Day and NHS England have posted a video on You Tube celebrating the work of one of their employees, Katie Matthews who has Down’s Syndrome, .

What a wonderful video. Thank you so much for sharing it here! I like to think of myself as well informed, but have not come across this anywhere else (yet!) I would love to share it on my FBk page but I know that most of my friends will not bother to watch it all the way through. In my view the bit that’s going to have the most impact on people who do not have a connection with someone with a learning disability in their own lives is the part in the middle where Katie is sitting at her desk and talking without a script about the difference that having this “proper” job has made to her life. It makes me so sad to think that she uses the phrase “It’s too good to be true”… The fact that this is how she feels is shameful to our society (although I accept it could be just a limit of communication with language!) I HOPE what she meant was “It’s a dream come true”!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed the video and I hope it challenges the views that society holds about people with learning disabilities working.