A memoir: The Joy of Knowing Pete: Much was said, yet no words spoken

I have written a memoir ‘The Joy of Knowing Pete: Much was said, yet no words spoken’, which was published recently.

I look back on the teenage years of our younger son who had Down’s syndrome and profound and multiple learning disabilities. I describe how in his short life Pete had a positive influence on his family, friends and those he met. He loved music, picnics, outings and celebrations. I aim to show the joys and the challenges of our life together.

Subsequently I became a co director of the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities and in retirement I am a trustee of People First Dorset. I intersperse the narrative with occasional observations about the way government policy has impacted more recently on the lives of people with learning disabilities.

At the heart of my book is a plea for fairness and equality and to listen to the voice of those who do not use words.

Professor John Swinton has written: ‘this is a lovely book. It’s a testimony to Peter, but it is much more than that….Hazel gently and kindly brings Peter’s voice to the fore’.

It is available on Amazon, to order from bookshops and the publisher. Please see

The Joy of Knowing Pete - Hazel Morgan – YouCaxton Publications.

1 Like