The jury in the inquest to Connor Sparrowhawk’s death unanimously found that he had died as a result of drowning following a seizure in the bath, contributed to by neglect.
They noted failures in care, including:
- Lack of clinical leadership on the Statt unit.
- Failure in the systems in place in relation to training and guidance.
- Failure to obtain a history and conduct a risk assessment.
- Inadequate communication with Connor’s family and between staff in
relation to his epilepsy needs and risks.
- Too few staff trained in epilepsy on the unit, and the training too
limited and insufficient.
- Errors and omissions made in Sparrowhawk’s care once he was admitted
to the Statt unit in relation to bathing arrangements.
You will find a statement from the family if you follow this link:
Here are some links to news reports following the verdict:
Please feel free to discuss any issue raised here on the forum. If you prefer, you can post totally anonymously, using the anonymous posting feature LDOX.Org has. Details on how to use this can be found here: How to Use the Forum - Tips for New Users