Intensive Interaction Expert Receives New Years Honour

Dave Hewitt, who has trained many professionals and families in Intensive Interaction- a way of communicating with people who are non-verbal or who are at an early stage in language development has been awarded an OBE.

Dave’s work on Intensive Interaction over more than thirty-five years has been recognised in the Prime Minister’s New Year Honours list with the award of Officer of the Order of the British Empire - OBE. There will be an investiture at St. James’s Palace later in 2020.

Dave says:

“Well of course, this is firstly a strange-feeling honour, I have could never have particularly seen myself as any sort of establishment figure. However, I feel greatly, properly humbled on behalf of all of us and I have accepted the honour on behalf of Intensive Interaction and all of you. This is for everyone in the Intensive Interaction community – you who work your socks off making life better, changing lives for some of the most disadvantaged people. It is for Intensive Interaction, this beautiful, simple/complex thing we work on and hold dear to our hearts and minds. It is for all those lovely people who have been positively changed by Intensive Interaction and it is for all those who have yet to receive it, who may be more numerous now, due to this recognition.

Humble thanks to those of you who gave representations to the Main Honours Committee, to assist them with their decision”.

In Oxfordshire, Jules McKim is an Intensive Interaction expert, based at Oxford Health Foundation Trust, if you want to speak to a local expert.

This web link takes you to further information.

2 Likes

We have used this excellent support as part of our training for staff working with our son

2 Likes