Introducing Karen of Parents Talking Asperger's

Hello everyone, nice to be part of this forum.

My name’s Karen Irvani and first and foremost, I’m mum to a wonderful 16-year-old young man who just happens to have Asperger’s Syndrome/High Functioning Autism, ADHD and Tourette’s. Life is… colourful! It’s also grey, sometimes. It’s NEVER boring!

Four years ago this month I set up a voluntary support group called Parents Talking Asperger’s because one, my boy had never met another child like him and he thought he was the only one, and secondly, I’d never met another parent living in similar circumstances.

Through PTA, my son and many like him has made friendships he never before had. For me, meeting parents like me has been life-changing. We have lots of fun as well as chatting about some of the more serious stuff.

Thank you for inviting me to this forum and it’s great to be part of it.

Best wishes,
Karen
x

About Parents Talking Asperger’s…
Parents Talking Asperger’s (PTA) is an award-winning voluntary support group for parents of children and young adults with Asperger’s Syndrome (diagnosed and undiagnosed)/High Functioning Autism. Although primarily for families living in or around Banbury, north Oxfordshire, we have members from south Oxfordshire and support families online, nationwide.

Our main aim is to create a support forum enabling parents to share the highs and lows of living a life that’s wired rather differently to the perceived neurotypical “norm”. Our secondary aim is to seek the help of the Autism and educational community to promote awareness and positive life change for young ‘Aspergian’ people, their siblings and their parents.

Since Founder and Principal Karen Irvani set up a Facebook page called “Parents Talking Asperger’s” in February 2012, today, PTA has a virtual community of nearly 1000 members, primarily in north/rest of Oxfordshire with regular contributors from around the world. PTA also receives family referrals from the National Autistic Society, other autism charities and Special Educational Needs’ (SEN) professionals from local schools.

Awards:
2015 – Finalist, National Autistic Society Autism Professional Awards
2013 – Oxford Community & Voluntary Action for “inspirational and dedicated work”

PTA’s Fun Nights for children/young people, siblings and parents take place at our headquarters near Banbury on alternative Thursdays in term time between 6.30-8.30pm and activities include Wii, iPads, computer games, table tennis, table soccer, air hockey and sensory room chill-out.

For further information and a schedule of meeting dates please contact:

Karen Irvani, Mother/Principal/Founder
Tel: 01295 269455 / 07503 752880
email: karen@parents-talking-aspergers.co.uk
www.parents-talking-aspergers.co.uk

2 Likes

Thanks for the fantastically useful information for parents.

Pleasure!
Do find us on Facebook Parents Talking Asperger’s and website www.parents-talking-aspergers.co.uk

Best wishes,
Karen

Thanks Karen, will do that!