Meeting new people

Hi I am interested in meeting new people and friendship not especially for dating for friendship companionship any ideas?

I know about Sting Ray and Mates and Dates but where to go and meet people in smaller quieter groups would be nice.

Hello, nice to hear from you. :smile:

There are lots of local groups listed on this site that you might like to check out in the directory.

There are a number of day activities that are going on around the county too- such as the Hub at Banbury and a drop in at Wallingford run by Style Acre, and My Life My Choice have local groups around the county as well as meetings in Oxford, to name but a few. HfT also run day activities.

The local Mencap groups have evening social activities - some like South Oxfordshire Mencap Meteor club offer smaller groups meeting in local cafes/pubs/etc.

There are also families looking to link up close to where they live with others for friendship or to share activities to pool costs- so if anyone out there is wanting to share activities, do please reply to this post!!

1 Like

I’ve recently come across the website of Laurel Leaf Support a support and care provider based in Witney for people with learning disabilities and it made me think of your post.

On their website they were advertising Together Groups. They state that “people who attend have an opportunity to meet others with similar interests, each group will carry out activities around a particular theme. The groups are relatively small in size (4/5 people), this ensures a friendly atmosphere and a brilliant opportunity to have fun around a topic you enjoy.”

I wonder if there are other support providers in Oxfordshire doing this sort of thing.

I think JColl’s comment that “there are also families looking to link up close to where they live with others for friendship or to share activities to pool costs - so if anyone out there is wanting to share activities, do please reply to this post!!” Is really important. There could be some great creative ways to support such activities.

What sorts of activities would you be interested in doing? Which part of the county do you live in?

1 Like

Thanks, that sounds so helpful.

Not one I have come across before.

Thanks that is really helpful know about MLMC but definitely interested in smaller groups to meet up for friendship and interests.

Would also appreciate details of any other groups

Thanks

Together groups sounds good. How do I find out more? Do they meet in or around Oxford?

Hi everyone, my name is Chris. I help to coordinate the Together Groups. We are based in Witney, Oxfordshire. The Together Groups having been running for over a year now and we do various activities throughout the year. They are generally held in Witney in our function room but we do go elsewhere too, last month we went to an air show. A meet up and event schedule is posted on to our Facebook page each month to give everyone an idea of when the groups meet. The August schedule should be posted soon https://www.facebook.com/laurelleafsupport. We generally run small groups following themes such as technology and art, we have a film night once a month and usually organise an event of some kind each month too. We would be happy to welcome new people to our groups, please feel free to get in touch via Facebook, by phone (01993 358060) or by email (admin@laurelleaf.co.uk). Many thanks for taking the time to read this post. Chris from Laurel Leaf.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris, I am sure that there will be lots of interest.

Thanks for posting.