My Life My Choice Newsletter March 2024

Logo564xauto

564xauto
Hello,

2024 has kicked off to a flying start at My Life My Choice!

A team of MLMC members have been working alongside Buckingham New University to co-deliver the Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism. The training aims to save lives by ensuring the health and social care workforce have the right skills and knowledge to provide safe, compassionate and informed care to autistic people and people with a learning disability.

The training is co-delivered alongside ‘experts by experience’. This is something MLMC has long championed and we are proud to be involved in the delivery of this important training.

See below to catch up on what else we have been up to!

News:

215xauto

First Trustee Meeting of the 2023/24 Board

The newly elected trustees attended their first meeting of the year in February. Ten long standing trustees were joined by five fresh faces to make up a diverse team of 15 decision makers. It was encouraging to see an increase in representation of our female and young trustees, who will only add to the wealth of expertise that our more experienced trustees have to offer!
192xauto

LGBT+ Self-Advocacy Group

We are looking to set up a self-advocacy group for our LGBT members. LGBT means Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender. If you are interested in getting involved then please get in touch with Eliott at: eliott@mylifemychoice.org.uk or call 01865 204214.

215xauto

New groups in Witney and Didcot!

This year we have started two new self-advocacy groups in Didcot and Witney. Our groups are a place for members to make friends and talk about what is important to them. Group member Andrew said ‘‘is great because we can learn from eachother’! Find out more about our groups.
192xauto

Thames Valley Police to visit MLMC self-advocacy groups

MLMC member Paul has been working together with Thames Valley Police to see how they can best support people with a learning disability. Local officers will be coming along to our self-advocacy groups throughout the year to talk about local issues important to them.

215xauto

Experts by experience receive CQC training

This training will mean our Experts by Experience can help the Care Quality Commission check that services for people with a learning disability are as good as possible.

Do you want to work with us? Click here to find out more.

192xauto

Make friends over the phone!

MLMC is re-starting our Phone Buddies project. Members are paired with a friendly volunteer to chat to regularly, whether that is once a month or every week.

If you are interested in having a phone buddy or know someone who would like one, please contact Paula at: paula@mylifemychoice.org.uk or call 01865 204214.

What’s on:

294xauto

Social events

Events coming up include an indie rock concert, an Easter egg hunt and a trip to the Oxford Museum!
What’s On

294xauto

Self-advocacy groups

We run self-advocacy groups all over Oxfordshire. Visit our website to find your local group.
Learn more

Copyright (C) 2024 My Life My Choice.