Rob - An introduction

Hi,

My name is Rob. I have been working with people with learning disabilities since 1989 which may sound a long time to most people but seems to have rushed past, to me. But no matter how long you work with people we never stop learning.

For the last nine years I have been working for a charity in Coventry (I moved to Witney in 2010) but commute to Coventry every day).

My work involves assessing providers for people with learning disabilities in regards to their quality of life. We do not duplicate the work of the CQC or the local council (we feed into their commissioning team but our reports and views are independent) but talk with clients, service users - the terminology organisations use differs greatly - and hands-on staff.
I have a co-worker who has some learning disabilities and we work as partners.
We have recently been asked to look at cafes, shops libraries etc in Coventry to assess what reasonable adjustments they have made and should make.
We have also done this work within older people’s providers also.
I would be interested in sharing thoughts and ideas with any like-minded people or organisations.

Rob*

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

My Life My Choice, our local self-advocacy group for people with learning disabilities and Oxfordshire Family Support Network, are starting to work on a Quality Checkers project, commissioned by Oxfordshire County Council, looking at how supported living is working for individual people.

It would be good to link up with you and learn from what you have been doing

Hi JColl. I seem to have missed your reply. Sorry. Is your quality checking work going alright? Rob

Hi Rob, I am not currently involved in this work so will ask those who are to respond to your query.I know the work continues on a regular basis.

Hi Rob - I work with OxFSN and MLMC on the Quality Checkers Project. It sounds like it is similar to the project you are doing in Coventry in that we visit supported living facilities across Oxfordshire talking to everyone who uses the services and families to see if the people who use the services live a meaningful and fulfilling life. We then write a report which is sent to the Commissioning team at the County Council with our thoughts and recommendations. We ourselves are family carers so approach it in the way we would if we were looking for a supported living facility for our family relative. I believe the County Council are now looking to extend the project in to other areas across Adult Social Care. You can always contact us at OxFSN if you would like to discuss further.

Hello Kawl,

Thanks for your email. Yes, I would like to discuss things further. What is the best way to go about this?

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob

We have a meeting tomorrow with the whole team so let me check with them and I will get back to you.

Kind regards

Kathy

kathy.liddell@me.com
m. 07786 731634
h. 01993 358347

Safe Places Champion - West Oxfordshire
http://www.westoxon.gov.uk/safeplaces

New Facebook Page for West Oxfordshire Special Education Needs

Project Manager/Administrator - Embolden Project
https://www.oxfsn.org.uk/

1 Like

Thank you, Kathy.

I appreciate this.

Kind Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob - so Chris Alexander from MLMC will get in contact and arrange a meeting with you via Ldox - I actually live just outside Witney so can join you too! I am a family carer who does the Quality Checking with an Expert by Experience. It will be good to compare notes! If you don’t hear anything let me know!

Hi Kathy,
Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Rob

Hi JColl,

Thank you for this.

Kind Regards,

Rob

No problem, glad everyone can help! That’s what this forum is all about
:smile:

1 Like

Hi Kathy,

You said to let you know if I do not hear anything.

Regards,

Robe

Moderator’s note: Rob, your email has been passed on to Kathy.