Tea with the Ponies!

Hi all.
My name is Jan Penny and I am new to this group. I joined because I am a volunteer with Riding for the Disabled at the Abingdon group based in Southmoor, Oxon.

We are developing a new experience, Tea with the Ponies, where non riding clients have the opportunity to come and spend an hour or so visiting the stables and interacting with some ponies either just by looking or petting or even grooming. We then offer some tea and cake!

The sessions are aimed at people with physical and/or learning disabilities/dementia.
Because it is a non riding experience it is ideal for all and can be a heart-warming and memorable time to come and be with our ponies because they seem to instinctively know how we are feeling and give back trust and warmth. We gain a rush of joy and positive feelings and wonderful new memories are made and old memories triggered. There is a lot of evidence of the therapeutic benefits of equestrian interaction.

The sessions are now running on the last Friday of each month 11.00am - 12.00pm beginning 29th March. We charge £7.50 per client and have to ask for at least one friend/family member/supporter per client. If those dates do not work for you then contact us and we may be able to do some other time.

Our Christmas 2023 tea-party was with an elderly gent and his family. Afterwards his daughter wrote:
“My parents and I had such a lovely and memorable time. Daddy still remembers his special time with the horses, which is quite remarkable. The horses were amazing and seemed to have a 7 sense that Daddy is ‘special’. They didn’t react at all to his slightly loud voice or big gestures. One horse [George] actually leant into Daddy for a hug. Thank you to your amazing charity.”

If you think this might be an activity you are injterested in as a group or an individual please either contact me here or contact Janine Elton who is the main coach jselton@btinternet.com or 07951745063.

2 Likes