Travelling Abroad with Epilepsy

I came across this useful information as my son will be travelling abroad with his support staff for the first time.

The International Bureau for Epilepsy has a downloadable handbook with epilepsy First Aid instruction translated into 13 languages.

You can download the Travellers Handbook for People with Epilepsy from:

National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy

They give this information and also give tips before you travel:

  • Like everyone else, you need proper insurance and yours must cover emergency medical treatment for your epilepsy.Do look at the rules for claiming before you go and keep one copy at home and one with you.(When travelling in Europe, remember to also take your (free) European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

  • As the names of the drugs vary in different countries, make sure you know the scientific (generic) name of all yours.Take a written list.

  • Order an SOS bracelet or tag with details of your epilepsy if you do not already wear one.

  • If you are going to be away for some time, get a letter from your docyor, outlining your epilepsy, your medication regime and any emergency instructions.If possible get this information translated into the language of the countries you are visiting and keep it with you at all times.

  • Check beforehand, how and where, you will be able to obtain repeat prescriptions and emergency treatment.